(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Mike Sheetal <msheetal_at_cyber-media.co.jp>
Date: 12/06/05
i don't claim to be the most knowledgeable on this, but in my feeling
is that it has more to do with stages of support. some features and
styling are just better supported with a different markup. and i don't
particularly want to build for the lowest common denominator, this is
limiting and doesn't let you do too much showing off of the technology.

getting a list of where those limits are is what i am trying to do at
the moment. a generalised answer would be dealing with media and
styling (as mentioned before : css and especially external css support
is very poor).

I seem to be jumping about the place with the features i am working
with and every time I go into a new area I find more compatibility
puzzles to solve. maybe you have been luckier with xhtml than me.

my current idea is to actually build everything as xhtml and build
parsing functions for limited handsets. this is a bit varied plan of
attack from the WALL approach but maybe a similar concept.

The other point is I am trying to do my best job to think of it from a
global perspective as well and there are way more flavours out there
when you start to bring in the American/ European/ other Asian markets.

thats not such a clear answer for a short question, but thats where i
am at currently.