(keitai-l) Re: Supported Character Sets for I-mode

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 01/10/06
Sure. If they convert it at the gateway, it is no longer 3byte.

But the basic point - that 10k of sjis or eucjp content is more
content than 10k of UTF-8, remains.

So people who are chunking data into bite sized gobs should be aware
they can send - what - 15k of pure JP text in UTF-8 and it will fit
in a 10k sjis phone cache (ignoring markup and so on).

In addition, unless the gateway handles conversion on a phone by
phone basis, gateway conversion reduces the incentive for operators
to include browsers that are UTF-8 aware, as ALL content will be
delivered to the handset as sjis, regardless of the phone's
capabilities.

Nick