(keitai-l) Re: UTF-8 encoding of e-mail messages to cell phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/10/06
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, keitai-l@duck.mailshell.com wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone could provide some advice at to whether
> UNICODE UTF-8 encoding is a suitable encoding method for mail messages
> to cell phonesof all of the three carriers (NTT DoCoMo, KDDI/AU, and
> Vodaphone) in Japan now?

I believe that all three do accept UTF-8-encoded e-mail; certainly
DoCoMo does. Generally it's translated at a gateway, so you don't need
to worry about what the phone supports.

> UTF-8 takes 4 bytes to represent each character whereas JIS only takes 1 or
> 2bytes per character. Are there still any cell phones out there that
> restrictthe size (I assume number of packets) of e-mail that tightly that a
> reasonably-sized message might be truncated or mis-decoded?

I belive not an issue, since the content is transcoded at a gateway.

> I know that several years ago some cell phones had a maximum mail message
> length, but I believe that seems to no longer to be an issue w ith newer
> models.

It still is with DoCoMo phones, at least MOVA phones, anyway. They allow
longer messages only by splitting the incoming message into several
parts, and sending them as separate messages to the phone.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***