(keitai-l) Re: Lengthy review of the WS003SH

From: <Steven_Nagata_at_capgroup.com>
Date: 07/24/06
I got to speak with a Willcom rep last week at the Wireless Japan expo and
got some interesting news regarding the W-Zero3 family.

First of all, got to play with the [es].  It's still pretty big, but the
new 400mhz processor reapply speeds things up.  It was much more responsive
and felt more stable.  Also, although I still consider the [es] to be a bit
huge, it is much smaller.  The folded profile in particular feels more
phone-like and is less of an eyesore when held up against the head. The new
device is still quite heavy, but now feels more solid.  I also thought the
old model felt too cheap and plastic.
Screen is small, but still 640x480 and very legible.

Now from my conversation I gleaned,
1.  Willcom is preparing a push mail solution that *should* be announced
this week.  It will work with exchange servers and is a ping and sync
solution.  Basically a short mail is sent to your device when a mail is
received by the server.  This will trigger a wireless sync.

2.  In the past, such a solution would be a bit problematic, but with the
new [es] device, concurrent voice and data connections are possible.  The
rep did not think it would be possible to upgrade current W-zero3 devices
to have this functionality.  Costs should be reduced for mail users as
unlimited short mail can be included into a subscription plan and battery
drain should be better than Windows Mobile email as no heartbeat is
required to keep the ip registered.

Can't vouch for these claims, but if they are true, then the [es] is a
significant upgrade.  From a pricing perspective the data plans are one of
your best options.  The biggest shortcoming is the lack of built-in wifi,
There is a minisd wifi nic coming out, but that would cost you some
expansion space for the phone.

All I can say is that it is going to be an interesting next 6 months.

-Steve

             "Andrew
             Shuttleworth"
             <andrew@andrewshu                                          To
             ttleworth.com>            keitai-l@appelsiini.net
                                                                        cc
             Sent by:
             keitai-l-bounce@a                                     Subject
             ppelsiini.net             (keitai-l) Re: Lengthy review of
                                       the WS003SH

             07/22/2006 12:30

             Please respond to
             keitai-l@appelsii
                  ni.net

It's a very useful device once you learn how to manage it, but certainly do
have a lot usability issues. It will probably take 2-3 years for Windows
Mobile to get to where it really needs to be.

> I don't really get what you are trying to say, but my zero3 is charging
> well via my notebook's USB port as far as I am concerned

I also got a dual USB sync and charge cable and it works fine.

> I thought the power consumption was very bad, but I found out that it is
> not that bad if you:
>  -don't use WiFi
>  -don't set mail reception to automatic and
>   receive 100 or so mails each day on it

Also the backlight settings and locking the keys so it doesn't come on in
you bag/pocket are important, but WiFi is the real drain

> I stopped using pocket outlook for my main mails (100+ each day) and
> used "qmail" (a 3rd party freeware mail client ) to manually get them.

I use FlexMail which has okay IMAP support. Better than Pocket Outlook.

> > Next issue is Opera. When I went to the WillCom shop to ask about this,
they

> Opera for WM5 is not free, so you need to pay. But you are free to
> install a trial version.

I believe it is free for W-ZERO3 users and is much better than Pocket IE.

> > Minor annoyance regarding incoming email. Sometimes it receives it, but
> > other times it just indicates the email is there and I have to manually
> > force it to finish the download. I have not been able to figure out any
> > pattern on this.
>
> This is an annoyance I am experiencing too. Zero3 will try to download
> the email next time, but sometimes it keeps failing. A

I don't have this problem but I only have a few mails to the Willcom
address.

Andrew (from my W-ZERO3 ;-)

This mail was sent to address Steven_Nagata@capgroup.com