(keitai-l) Re: mobile email to website database

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 04/10/07
I don't know of an "off the peg solution" - but this will handle the
storage of emails in a database, and MIGHT be a good place to start
if you were going to roll your own solution - although it is probably
overkill/pain in the posterior.

http://www.dbmail.org/index.php?page=overview

Do you envisage users having "accounts" on your system, or is it more
"anyone can email to this email address and we will splurge it onto a
web gallery" sort of thing? (So the main logic is - trivially -
accept mail - extract image, throw into new line of table?)

Will you run a dedicated MTA?

If you use postfix, you could (quote from Wietse Venema about postfix/
database integration.)

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2001-09/0677.html

<quote>
Use the existing Postfix mail delivery interfaces:

1 - Use the Postfix pipe delivery agent, and write a database app
that reads the message from standard input and that receives the
recipients on the command line. This relies on process exit status
codes, which is only semi reliable, and which creates/destroys one
process per delivery.

2 - Use the Postfix lmtp delivery agent, and write a database app
that receives mail via the LMTP protocol. This is more reliable
than (1) because it uses a real protocol. This is more performant
than (1) because the app can be a resident process.

In both cases, use the transport map to route domains to the
appropriate delivery agent.

</quote>

I THINK the first way is the way spamassassin works - and that is
written in perl, so it should not be too hard to whip up a custom
script to do what you want.

Nick