(keitai-l) Re: NEC 'tactile echo'?

From: Joseph Kurachi Luk <joespam_keitai-l_at_josephluk.com>
Date: 07/10/08
My N904i does this -- the unlabled button on the left side of the
display lid ("アシストキー") activates the feature.  Haven't
heard it called "tactile echo" before though, which probably explains
why you couldn't find it on the web.

Page 80 of the N904i manual describes the feature.  Basically since
this phone has an OLED display on the outside, the outer display
can't be left on, so the button is used to activate the display to
show the time, missed calls, etc.  In addition, you can set it to
announce the presence of missed calls or new messages using beeps or
a synthesized voice. Further in addition, if the phone is in manner
mode, it will vibrate with the patterns you described instead of
beeping.

The manual doesn't say this feature is unique to NEC phones; rather,
the wording says the feature allows you to check the status on the
"FOMA terminal".  Therefore I guess it's possible that other phones
have this feature, but a straw poll of folks around me failed to find
any other units.  Wouldn't be surprised if the current N906i in
stores has it though.

Hope the info is helpful.  Out of curiosity, whom are you quoting in
your message below?  I couldn't find that text on the web either.  :)

-- Joe