(keitai-l) Re: i-Mode pics

From: Mike Neil <neil_at_pixo.com>
Date: 04/13/00
>> Hello,
>> Does anyone have any experience with sending or receiving pictures on imode
>> i-mode.
>> Do you know the file size limit, download speed, is it just a hassle?
>
>Filesize limit is 5k per page, so an image of about 4k is usually ok. Also
>there
>are limits on size and color depth depending on what handset you use to view.
>Handsets are b/w, 4-level gray, or 256 color. Some dither, some don't. Some
>automatically squish images to fit on screen (and distort) and some don't.

On a slight tangent...

  Do each of the handset manufactures develop there own i-Mode (CHTML)
browsers, or are there companies that provide them (ala Phone.com for
HDML/WAP)?

  One of the reasons I ask is that Pixo announced a dual mode HTML/WAP
browser at the US CTIA conference in March.  Our browser looks like it
has a super-set of the features that are available for i-Mode.  We also
support more of the HTML spec (XHTML Basic), as well as services like
SSL/cookies that are needed for direct e-Commerce.  Our OS core is based
on unicode so we can display Japanese as well as most other Asian and
Roman languages (provided you have the fonts).  It has been very
interesting to me to learn more about the technologies that are used in
the Japanese market from a competitive stand point.

  BTW:  I have only subscribed to this list for a short time, but I have
found it very informative.  Being in the US, I have had little exposure
to the Japanese market.  The discussions here have been very enlightening.

Thanks,
-Mike Neil
neil@pixo.com