(keitai-l) Re: Privacy concerns contra usability?

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_anima.de>
Date: 08/21/00
"M. David" wrote:
> Although technologically possible, I didnt think it would go over very well,
> privacy wise.
I heard about this functionality, but this is a shaky business model
(I wouldn't invest in this) and reacts only immediately...I talk
about the bigger picture like the collection 'what have you done last
summer, David?'.

Imagine somebody sits there in front of a computer screen with a map
and an time/date input field. He looks at the entry "David M."
1999-08-21 12pm and watched a red spot blinking on the middle
of the screen. Now he goes back in time and see the red spot moving.
He finetunes the picture and sees that you are coming to this
place at 11:58am and leaved the place at 1:23pm. A click to
an combined house/questionmark icon pops up a picture and
the address of an chinese restaurant. Another click at an
people/questionmark icon shows 3 other people who where there at
the same time and closer than 5 meters to you. Setting a
filter to people you met somewhere before or called sometimes
leaves 2 names blinking on the screen. Another cross check
with your mobile ID and other chinese restaurants will show
that you love to eat in chinese restaurants...(fill in some
more paranoid phantasy here...).

Technologically it's simple to do for NTT and other big telecom
companys, the only question is if they invest in big storage
media to store all these information and what do they do
with this? I know that a realtime system like this exists
and I remember that DoCoMo offered since 1998(?) the Imadoku
service, where everybody could access via request call the
position of any DoCoMo User via Fax.

<rumour>
The following is more a rumour, but I also heard that housewifes
used this service very often if the husbands comes late...they
found out that the husbands are all the time in the red light
district. To avoid to need a lot of excuses later, husbands
choosed one person who had to collect all phones and must sit
in the Yamanote line for some hours to confuse the Imadoku
system. (for non Tokyo residents: the Yamanote line goes
in a big circle around Tokyo without having an end or start point,
because it's a circle)
</rumour>

J.