(keitai-l) Re: EZAccess-->Merge into EZWeb-->Merge into AU

From: Dave <dave_at_i-chara.com>
Date: 09/08/00
> Does anyone know the approximate date (or even month) when
> EZAccess was folded into EZWeb?

I'm not sure when it started, but the mergers will be complete in October
some time.

> Also, since I now see "au"-branded cellphone shops appearing
> around Tokyo, yet there are still some HIT shops selling
> EZWeb-co-branded cdmaOne phones, is it safe to say that "EZWeb
> has disappeared, and been replaced by AU"?

This is a confusion I've encountered so many times, that in presentations
that my company gives, we have included a slide which shows the whole matrix
of phone companies and services in Japan.
But to answer your question let me break it down into bite sized bits:

Au is a mobile _phone_ brand.
EzWeb is a mobile _internet service_ brand.
Au owns EzWeb.
Au will not _replace_ EzWeb, Au will _offer_ EzWeb. The same way DoCoMo
offers I-Mode.

One question I have, though, is that I thought Tuka was swept up by KDDI as
well. And although IDO has changed all their storefronts and phones to
reflect the Au brand, Tuka hasn't. Anyone know what their status is? Are
they not part of the merger, or is their time line different.

	Dave