(keitai-l) Re: Asia's Wireless Destiny: Andy Grove vs. My Maid

From: Cris Vulpe <crislv_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 10/01/00
From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah@anima.de>

> Interesting article:
>
> Asia's Wireless Destiny: Andy Grove vs. My Maid
> http://www.techbuddha.com/articles/andygrovevsmymaid.html
>
> Asians who haven't visited the States may be surprised at
America's
> backwardness when it comes to mobile technology. Cite as many
> chest-thumping 'America is hi-tech god' treatises as you like,
the
> fact remains that the United States lags much of the world,
and
> especially Asia, in mobile phone technology.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea

Folks.. sorry to pick up a cold trail but I just got around
to catching up with the list..  Here's my take on this
article..

I think the article missed the point entirely.  There are a
number of reasons wireless tech is not as strong in the US.
Some of the most obvious ones are:

- Cheap phone system.  I understand it takes a small fortune to
install a land line in Asia.  This is not a derogatory
comment.. I'm just stating the facts.  Installing a phone in
the US is like buying a loaf of bread.

- Quality of wireless.  I use my cell phone for short
conversations.  Longer conversations are OK if I don't move too
much.

- There is a certain level of social resistance to being called
anywhere by anybody.  This may be OK in Asia but in the US a
lot of people want to sleep at night.

To sum this up.. the US is not as advanced as Asia in wireless.
This is absolutely true.. BUT.. there are reasons for this.
The main reason is that most people just don't care about it
that much.. yet..

Or.. to put it another way.. the US is not behind in wireless
because of some lack of capacity or resources to do so.. it
is behind because it simply does not sell as much as it sells
in Asia..

Cris Vulpe..

PS: In the article they try to be funny on a case of a person
in the US being called on a cell and calling back on a land
line phone.

I'm sure that it happens but I would think it is rare.  It may
also be that the person has some sort of problem hearing the
cell phone well and, in that case, their example is in poor
taste.