(keitai-l) Re: server cache, phone cache?

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_uwillsee.com>
Date: 10/03/00
On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:03:17AM +0000, M. David wrote:
> Over the weekend, my site had so much traffic, I crashed my hosting
> companies server... - and got booted off...
> They replaced my pages with a standard error message.

Not very cool. Interesting though, that went down on the basis of traffic.
Is all your traffic imode based?

> I changed hosts, and transfered the domain, which is fine on the 'net, but
> my imode phone keeps displaying the error message- and is loading it too
> fast.

Actually, I just checked your site on netscape and it says that your
account has been removed, so it looks like not all of the net knows about
your update yet. It might take a week to two weeks for your new server
information to trickle down to all the various nameservers around the net.
(I checked the root servers and found your new site at 64.176.249.210,
whereas a lookup on my providers returns 208.56.15.201 (the old one))

(aside: ideally if you were moving sites, you would leave the old server
up, setup a new one and update dns, then wait until all the hits move to
the new server which as I said will take time...)

> Does the phone have a cache?

Not that kind.

> I think the message is cached on the docomo server because even pages which
> don't exist give me the same error message- which it definitely shouldn't.

It is probably stuck in DoCoMo's nameservers cache too, so you'll either
have to wait it out or get lucky with some technician and I would say
the odds on that are slim and it might not fix it anyway.

> PS, please see if my site is viewable on your imode-jsky phones
> ikaiwa.com

Same as netscape... Horrible message. You might consider bribing them
to change it to something more reasonable until the updates get out
there...

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd                   Have you had your noop today?
tom_at_nooper.com                  http://www.nooper.com