(keitai-l) Re: Justin Chamberlain on i-mode

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 10/18/00
]  I think the best analogy so far is AOL vs the Internet, and I
]  suspect we'll see similar takeup curves as well.  Except that

This is a good analog. Originally AOL would split revenues with content
providers, based on its "premium access" model. Companies like Simutronics
made a lot of money from this. But when critical mass of content was
reached, the deals were flipped, to a AOL charging content providers for
distribution.

There were other competitive factors that influenced AOL's decision to move
to flat rate (every other ISP was doing this) but DoCoMo could at any moment
change the 9/91 split with content subs in the other direction.

However, this as I understand is what's happening now in Europe where the
carriers are being "pigs" (as one content provider friend put it). In korea
as well I understand SKTel have a 90/10 deal structure.

As long as NTT control the only billing gateway, this garden has walls with
spikes on.

Wish I could be at your list-party!

dc (just take a walk on the wild sites, baby)
david [dc] collier              ceo | Gamelet.com
                                e   | dc@gamelet.com
                                v   | 415.552.4968
Entertainment Marketing Technology  | http://www.gamelet.com