(keitai-l) Re: WAP vs. Java

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 10/24/00
Remember the java hype on the web years ago.  Java is suitable for
applications (and I'm sure they'll be many interesting ones for java enabled
phones) but is not a replacement for content.  Developing traditional
"content" as a java applet is hard and often pointless when there is a more
concise and more powerful way of expressing it.

Personally think phones should move towards supporting more of HTML 4, DOM,
and javascript.  As much as I dislike javascript, much of what people want
to do to create exciting content can be done with it, sans java.  Add to
that flash playback capability and you've covered 99% of the types of
content people want to generate.

IMO, there will be a big market for java in the phone-based applications
(games, interactivity, etc), but it's no replacement for content
description.

my 2 cents

Jonathan Shore
E-Publishing Group K.K.