(keitai-l) Re: L-mode

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <aps_at_writemail.com>
Date: 10/24/00
Derek Moore wrote:
> 2. Is the infrared function on the Nokia phone worth owning an ugly phone
> with a poorly designed keypad.

If you have a Palm or a Pocket PC you can use the IR port to use the phone
as a modem to make data calls to surf the web and download mail etc. No
software or special set up required. Even though it's only 9.6 kbs it's
useful when you are on a train as a PHS device (e.g. the P-in Comp@ct) which
is 64 kbs will not keep a reliable connection. If you are travelling fast on
an underground train you are out of luck ;-)

You can also use the IR port for swapping contact info, although this is not
a function I use a lot. Strangely enough I couldn't do this between a
Cassiopeia and the Nokia although I could connect to the internet using IR
without a problem. I did manage to swap data with a WizCom QuickLink Pen.
I'm sure there are obvious technical reasons for this which hopefully
someone with a detailed knowledge of IR can explain.

Anyone got any positive experiences with the IR port on other DoCoMo phones.
(I believe they use a different protocol).

> 3. Any news on the new iPaq coming to Japan and having internet access

There was something about it in Mobile Press magazine
(http://www.gihyo.co.jp/mobile/) which I haven't had chance to read through
yet. There is also a thread in the TPC newsgroups about it
http://www.tokyopc.org/cgi-bin/webnews/newsgroup?G=tpc.pilot (See 'Compaq's
Pocket PC iPaq'). According to this it will be available early 2001. As PC
and Compact Flash cards can be used with this device (with some sort of add
on) you could use any number of phones out their on the market with PC card
connections or DoCoMo's P-in Comp@ct to connect to the internet. In fact you
could do this already if you got one from the US. Interesting to note that
(as shown at the Word PC Expo last week) DoCoMo will be marketing a special
version of the Cassiopeia after Casio dropped Compact Flash and went with SD
media in the latest version of their devices, therefore meaning that the
P-in Comp@ct can't be used.

Andrew