(keitai-l) Re: L-mode

From: Eric Hildum <Eric_Hildum_at_itochu.net>
Date: 10/24/00
Palm supports the IrCOMM subset of the IrDA specifications. This is the
older portion of the specification and has the least functionality, and is
designed to make the IR connection appear to be a serial port on a PC. I
suspect that the Nokia also supports only IrCOMM. Windows 95 only supports
IrCOMM.

Windows 98, ME and MacOS support the full IrDA stack. Bluetooth shares the
upper levels of the IrDA protocol stack, and we should see much better
functionality on both IR and Bluetooth devices as bluetooth becomes more
common. In particular, the IrOBEX standard will make interoperability much
easier...

I think the above is accurate, it has been a little while since I reviewed
all the related specifications, and I have only had one cup of coffee this
morning. Corrections to the above most welcome.

Eric Hildum

> From: "Andrew Shuttleworth" <aps@writemail.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:59:34 +0900
> To: <keitai-l@appelsiini.net>
> Subject: (keitai-l) Re: L-mode
>
> Derek Moore wrote:
>> 2. Is the infrared function on the Nokia phone worth owning an ugly phone
>> with a poorly designed keypad.
>
> If you have a Palm or a Pocket PC you can use the IR port to use the phone
> as a modem to make data calls to surf the web and download mail etc. No
> software or special set up required. Even though it's only 9.6 kbs it's
> useful when you are on a train as a PHS device (e.g. the P-in Comp@ct) which
> is 64 kbs will not keep a reliable connection. If you are travelling fast on
> an underground train you are out of luck ;-)

	[excessive quoting removed]