(keitai-l) Re: iso-8859-1

From: Karl . <aminosyran_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10/28/00
Dear list.

Thank you for all the answers on my question on ISO-8859-1.

I'm still a little bit confused. In the I-mode FAQ it says ISO-8859-1. What
I have read (also in this thread) is that ISO-8859-1 is built on top of
US-ASCII that adds extra characters for an example swedish, dutch and german
languages.

If the I-mode faq is correct the phones should dislpay these languages
characters too on top of the standard english characters otherwise it should
be US-ASCII that I-mode phones has support for (please correct me if I'm,
wrong). Or does the I-mode faq means that Shift-JIS also "include" US-ASCII
and in that way you could say Shift-JIS support two characters encoding
(Shift-JIS, US-ASCII) but that Shift-JIS is the only hardcoded character
encoding in the phone? Can you follow me? :-)

Unfortunately I don't have an I-mode phone but If someone has one I would be
really, really happy if you could try some swedish, dutch or german
characters.

Have a happy weekend all of you!

Karl.

>Actually you could have made this clearer if you simply referred to >ASCII
>(with 7 bit encoding) - it is a standard published by ANSI after all.
>ISO-8859-1 includes ASCII as a subset, and thus any system which uses
>ISO-8859-1 will properly display a document containing only ASCII text.
>

>Eric Hildum

	[excessive quoting removed]