(keitai-l) Re: Ren's Wireless Beef

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/02/00

This is a very interesting article. I agree completely with Ren's thesis
that young people are and will continue to be the major users of the mobile
internet in japan and elsewhere (assuming the western carriers figure it
out). They have time to kill and thus want some simple entertainment while
the business user has no time to kill and thus wants expensive,
sophisticated and perfect technology. My question is why the mobile Internet
is so different from other technologies? Most technologies are adopted first
by business users and after the price goes down the rest of the public
adopts the technologies. This is the way PCs and mobile phones diffused in
the 80s and 90s. Is the mobile Internet different because the price of the
technology (phones and content) is already cheap and thus young people can
afford it and are willing to experiment? Were young people the initial users
of the fixed-line Internet in the mid-90s and if so was it because the
technology was already cheap and desire to experiment was the critical
issue?
Jeff Funk

-- Type: application/ms-tnef