(keitai-l) Re: Ren's Wireless Beef

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 11/02/00
jeffrey funk wrote:

> Most technologies are adopted first by business users and after
> the price goes down the rest of the public adopts the technologies.
> This is the way PCs and mobile phones diffused in the 80s and 90s.

Jeffrey:

as a disclaimer let me say that I always highly estimate your work
and insights...

this time I am not sure I agree with your assumptions. I think you
are basing that on a subset of high-tech, like the PC industry.

I think you'll agree that SONY's walkman went the other way - much
more like imode. I think that the WALKMAN did not start with high prices
and business users going down to the rest of the public...

In Japan many new advanced technologies start in the toymarket -
even things like shape-memory-alloys (forgive me - I originally
a hard-core material scientist).

A similar story is true for blue-LEDs and lasers which have started
to replace light-bulbs. (you can find details about this here:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/bluelaser/ ) It's another recent
Japanese technology breakthrough I am involved in, and which is
at least as important as imode and all that.

If your theory would be always true, you'd find blue LED's now
illuminating the dealing rooms of banks. However, this is not so.
You can find blue LED's at the tip of antennas of mobile phones,
alerting 16 year old girl's of their friend's incoming call and
showing to the surrounding friends that she is popular because
she receives calls, and you'll find blue LEDs in the huge bill
boards near Hatchiko. You can also find blue LEDs on advertising
boards for Karaoke-Bars and hairdressers etc.

Best regards,

Gerhard Fasol
Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://www.eurotechnology.com/