(keitai-l) Re: Wap vs i-mode once again

From: <Weiyee.In_at_ubsw.com>
Date: 11/07/00
dear joost,

to give you a general picture, here is a table from a report I wrote on
imode/wap/java ... it will publish next week ... if you would like a
copy, just email me ...

Weiyee In
UBS Warburg
Director Internet Strategy
tel: +1212-821-5288
fax: +1212-821-6379

Table 2: i-mode Versus WAP — Snapshot

i-mode

WAP

Developed by DoCoMo

Developed by the WAP Forum

Packet-based

Circuit or packet switched

TCP/IP based

WTP, WDP and WCMP based

Uses cHTML as markup language

Uses WML as markup language

"proprietary Japanese technology"

"open global standard"

Adaptive strategy

Re-inventive Strategy

Turnkey service solution

Wireless Technology Platform

600+ information/content provider partners

500+ information/content providers

More than 20,000 unofficial sites

1,000 WML sites

12+ million subscribers

5-6 million activated WAP phones

Average of 10 accesses/user/day

<1 access/user/day [depending on region]

Monochrome/Color LCD displays

Monochrome until 4Q 2000

i-mode ARPU: $18

WAP ARPU $10