(keitai-l) Re: Wap vs i-mode once again

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 11/08/00
Have to agree with Andrea -- comparing WAP vs i-mode is a pointless
exercise; one's a set of protocols, the other a brand.

Regarding a circuit-switched network, I've always thought that a
packet-switched network was necessary for successful data services, but
early EZ services and current JSky services in Japan were/are
circuit-switched and they have millions of users, hardly a failure...

Regards,

r e n

P.S. I, and I think all on this list, would love a copy of your report!
(^^)

Weiyee.In@ubsw.com wrote:

> dear joost,
>
> to give you a general picture, here is a table from a report I wrote on
> imode/wap/java ... it will publish next week ... if you would like a
> copy, just email me ...
>
> Weiyee In
> UBS Warburg
> Director Internet Strategy
> tel: +1212-821-5288
> fax: +1212-821-6379
>
> Table 2: i-mode Versus WAP — Snapshot
>
> i-mode
>
> WAP
>
> Developed by DoCoMo
>
> Developed by the WAP Forum
>
> Packet-based
>
> Circuit or packet switched
>
> TCP/IP based
>
> WTP, WDP and WCMP based
>
> Uses cHTML as markup language
>
> Uses WML as markup language
>
> "proprietary Japanese technology"
>
> "open global standard"
>
> Adaptive strategy
>
> Re-inventive Strategy
>
> Turnkey service solution
>
> Wireless Technology Platform
>
> 600+ information/content provider partners
>
> 500+ information/content providers
>
> More than 20,000 unofficial sites
>
> 1,000 WML sites
>
> 12+ million subscribers
>
> 5-6 million activated WAP phones
>
> Average of 10 accesses/user/day
>
> <1 access/user/day [depending on region]
>
> Monochrome/Color LCD displays
>
> Monochrome until 4Q 2000
>
> i-mode ARPU: $18
>
> WAP ARPU $10

ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144
hex: \x72 \x65 \x6e \x66 \x69 \x65 \x6c  \x64
morgan stanley dean witter japan
e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature