(keitai-l) Re: Product cycles in Japan

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 11/08/00
At 20:52 2000-11-08 +0900, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>because my private AU Sony C305S Keitai is broken (seems that they never
>tested 'sitting' on mobile phones in your pocket in the train) I thought
>today of changing it to another one.
>
>I learned: This phone (it came out about 4months ago) is not
>available and will not be produced (!) anymore.
>
>I also learned that the direct followup of this Sony phone is a nice blue
>one (can't remember the exact name) which has a BIG color screen,
>a slot for the memory stick (64MB) and is overall a MP3 player with
>integrated phone.
>
>It looks quite cool, but it costs 40,000yen (around 400US$) if I have
>an existing number and want to update only the phone. The usual price
>for the other ones is around 5,000yen (50US$).
>
>I also learned that there is no J-Phone phone without color screen
>anymore and the first generation (read: the old ones) with color
>screen are now available for almost free (starting at 0yen).

I have just bought 10 J-phone first gen colour screen phones for $2 each
without subscription(!), only to rip out the displays and try to build a
decent European demo phone based on a GPRS radio unit, a Linux embedded
server, Access's i-mode browser and a colour display.

Why are all western handset manufacturers lobotomized? And why is it so
complicated to get the Japanese manufacturers to make a serious effort in
the western world?

/gustaf

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747