(keitai-l) Product cycles in Japan

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_anima.de>
Date: 11/08/00
Hi List,

because my private AU Sony C305S Keitai is broken (seems that they never
tested 'sitting' on mobile phones in your pocket in the train) I thought
today of changing it to another one.

I learned: This phone (it came out about 4months ago) is not
available and will not be produced (!) anymore.

I also learned that the direct followup of this Sony phone is a nice blue
one (can't remember the exact name) which has a BIG color screen,
a slot for the memory stick (64MB) and is overall a MP3 player with
integrated phone.

It looks quite cool, but it costs 40,000yen (around 400US$) if I have
an existing number and want to update only the phone. The usual price
for the other ones is around 5,000yen (50US$).

I also learned that there is no J-Phone phone without color screen
anymore and the first generation (read: the old ones) with color
screen are now available for almost free (starting at 0yen).

Juergen