(keitai-l) Re: Product cycles in Japan

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 11/09/00
Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:

> paul.c.eijkemans@ac.com wrote:
> > So, even if Nokia, Ericsson, Philips, Siemens, etc, want to create such
> > phones: they can't. Want an example? Look at the Nokia phone recently
> > introduced in Japan. The only people buying them seem to be the expats who
> > like the English menu's. It is certainly not a high-end phone and is not
> > contributing to the portfolio of phones that DoCoMo carries: DoCoMo is
> > 'allowing' Nokia a market share.
>
> "The" Nokia phone?  Nokia has been in the Japanese market for quite some
> time, and back in the good old days its phones whupped the butt of the
> Japanese competition.  Even today, its phones are *technically* up to
> Japanese standards (small batteries, low weight, flimsy plastic cases,
> etc), but Nokia cooks up its own software -- and it shows.

I think what's more relevant is compent availability...anyone find it curious
that all the major Japanese handset makers got color LCDs, but Nokia just
couldn't seem to find a supplier?
Nokia's Japanese handset, at least the NM502i i-mode handset, is no where NEAR
as 'good' as a typical Japanese handset, but it's more a fault of suppliers I
think; screen quality, etc.

But, as you state, the software on the NM502i is very WAP-ish (those 2 buttons
below the left and right corners of the screen) and I've heard many Japanese
users complain it doesn't "feel" right -- for example to scroll back through
phone numbers already called.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature