(keitai-l) Re: Product cycles in Japan

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 11/09/00
Renfield Kuroda wrote:
> Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:
> > "The" Nokia phone?  Nokia has been in the Japanese market for quite some
> > time, and back in the good old days its phones whupped the butt of the
> > Japanese competition.  Even today, its phones are *technically* up to
> > Japanese standards (small batteries, low weight, flimsy plastic cases,
> > etc), but Nokia cooks up its own software -- and it shows.
>
> I think what's more relevant is compent availability...anyone find it curious
> that all the major Japanese handset makers got color LCDs, but Nokia just
> couldn't seem to find a supplier?

Maybe you know something that I don't, but I was under the impression
that the Nokia NM502i was introduced back in the days when all DoCoMo
phones were black & white?  One "standard" feature it is definitely missing
though is multi-voiced sound, which means it can't play most chakumelo.

I've also heard very contradictory reports about how well it is selling,
some people say Nokia's factories can't keep up with the demand,
but the official charts don't have it in on the top 20...  the cynical
interpretation would be that their logistics are screwed and nobody is
buying them, but I've run into a surprisingly number of (non-gaijin)
people with them.  (Then again, all the gaijin I know have J-Phones.)

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo