(keitai-l) Re: i-mode business model & content providers [was RE: I-mode site problems]

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 11/09/00
Haven't 3G handset costs (quite a bit higher, I've heard)
also been figured into these projections?  That would tamp
down the exuberance considerably.

I mean, putting a 9600baud modem into a handset isn't really
straining belief - hey, that doesn't even have to be a chip,
that's, like, a *small corner* of a chip, these days, albeit
a warmer corner.  Data over keitai is probably more a product
of good rechargeable battery technology than anything else.

3G speeds seem like a whole different category, one that might
render the "free handset, make it up later in service charges"
marketing model a nonstarter.  Maybe Japanese are used to
paying for use, but they aren't used to paying much for the
phone itself.  And maybe that's what's behind DoCoMo's
"prohibitively high" 3G rates - making sure all that fancy
silicon gets paid for, in case 3G doesn't fly with the Japanese
public.

And 3G might not fly, after all.

On the other hand, I remember PC industry pundits, mulling
the imminent introduction of 386-based machines, asking
if there would really be any serious demand for computers
that were so ridiculously *fast*.

I guess we'll just have to see.

-m
leap@gol.com