(keitai-l) How to bring cHTML/i-mode to Europe

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 11/08/00
Hi!

I am new to this list, so you probably have discussed this issue already
several times. But it may still be interesting.

I am the CEO of Xpedio, a company that offers a server platform that is
optimized to serve HTML based mobile handsets with messaging, PIM and
information. We actually also support WAP, since device independence is one
of our features, although this is a lot less fun.

We currently have several customers, operators, and especially virtual
operators, in the western world thatwants to deploy cHTML over GPRS now.

We are also working with Access in Japan to implement and adapt the
original i-mode browser to western conditions and platforms.

So far everything is quite fine.

But, there is a catch. There are NO appropriate handsets, and the handsets
manufacturers have been reluctant to listen to us and some fairly large
customers. It is not the way they are working, they say, and they are still
believing in WAP (both old and new WAP).

So what could be done? Does anyone have any revolutionary ideas?

Maybe we could co-operate between several projects and do as DoCoMo did,
make a specification to several Japanese handset manufacturers for a GPRS
based handset, 507i or something... If expected volumes are OK, this
shouldn't be any problem.

How many of you work with actual implementation of i-mode/cHTML outside
Japan, and in what way?

best regards

/gustaf (currently in Tokyo, normally in Stockholm)