(keitai-l) Re: Location based foo

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_anima.de>
Date: 11/14/00
HL> You have a point. But there is also a good possibility, when done rigth.
HL> One example could be services for tourists who come to city and register
HL> to certain services. They get info about the area they are and what they
HL> can do there.
Not in Japan...there are almost no Tourists (it's expensive) and if
there are some, than these Tourists are japanese who travel in their
own country. Believe me, these guys are prepared!

For foreigners it's almost impossible to get a temporary mobile phone
while they stay only some days/weeks. For this is no market here.

HL> We should not think just SMS-messages but in broader view, when we have
HL> working wap or other systems running. The point is that localtion
HL> information gives a really valuable tool for service-creators to deliver
HL> really good content to the user -- whether it was ads or direction
HL> guides.
I agree that this could be the chance to create a complete new user
experience for a mobile user, but I don't agree that you call ad's
"really good content".

Even if Japan is totally commercial and advertisement driven, I still
don't believe that advertisements on mobile phone are a Killer
Application. But the other strategy: Annoy thousand of users with
advertisements until you can charge a service fee to avoid ad's on
their phone could work. No joke.

Juergen