(keitai-l) Re: Location based foo

From: <Jan.Chipchase_at_nokia.com>
Date: 11/14/00
Mika Tuupola wrote:

> >         Call me a pessimist but I have the feeling location
> >         based advertising will be the next major flop. For
> >         location based _services_ I can see the need (locating
> >         emergency calls etc). However concentrating on when-
> >         a-person-arrives-on-nearby-premises-we'll-bombard-her-
> >         with-adverts approach is IMO doomed.

I agree - just pushing ads onto a user's phone/pda is not going to work. I
think it could even be counter productive - negative advertising. (though
some people believe there is no such thing as bad advertising).

However I think it goes back to user motivation. If advertisers provide the
user with a compelling reason to interact then it can work, regardless of
the medium. One possible advantage that Location Based Advertising using
mobile devices has is that, by definition you already some idea about where
the user is, and you have an opportunity to engage/react to the user that is
not possible with other media. (this stuff is probably in the archive). i.e.
answer a question right and get another 5% off.

Often the advertiser's idea of compelling is at odds with the consumers.
Just because a soap powder does wash whiter doesn't mean I'm interested in
it.

At best there will be one or two shining examples of LBA to many flops. I'm
interested in finding what will be the shining examples.