(keitai-l) Re: IM stupidity

From: <jason.c.freedman_at_ac.com>
Date: 11/14/00
Hate to say it, but I actually disagree with you.

Now bear with me here, but here are some reasons for IM on keitai's.

   People can not talk on the phone while on the train.
   Calling people is not the same as seeing they are "on line" (i.e. they
   have aim up and are on your buddy list).
   Not all people on aim will be on the keitai.
   VoiP is actually an option on aim (I don't know about the keitai
   version), so it is a possible use, just not the only one.
   Chats are less formal than phone calls.
   aim is much cheaper than a phone call.

Now go and beat me up on this, but I actually think it's very powerful.

Jason Freedman

            "Kyle Barrow" <kyle@X-9.com>
            Sent by:                            To:     "KEITAI-L" <KEITAI-L@appelsiini.net>
            keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.n        cc:
            et                                  Subject:     (keitai-l) IM stupidity

            11/14/2000 11:51 AM
            Please respond to keitai-l

I was at an event last Friday where the head of AOL Japan showed off AIM
for
wireless devices. While I would expect this sort of nonsense from the US I
would have thought the Japanese group should have known better.

Now wireless IM has hit the popular press as well:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2653139,00.html

Am I alone in thinking this is stupid? If not I shall rush out and patent
Instant Morse Code and Instant Tribal Drum as it is clear these people
don't
know that that little speaker and mike at each end of your wireless device
allow you to TALK to someone and have never heard of voice over Internet
technology.

Glad to get that out of my system, I feel much better now.

Kyle