(keitai-l) Re: Click Through

From: Wiberg, Annie <Annie.Wiberg_at_euroforum.net>
Date: 11/14/00
Hi!

It's about time I actually contributed so for what it is worth, here are
some issues on location based services...

I'd just like to say that there is a lot more to Mobile Location Services
than getting a message when entering a mall. For starters there is
interactive television (a concept that is already being worked on in more
than ten countries and the "finsihed product" should hit the viewers this
spring), you can get information such as where is the nearest petrol
station, and that petrol station can then respond and offer you a discount
or a free car-wash or whatever. You can be reached by selected groups, e.g.
before six in the evening you can be reached by colleagues, and after six,
by your family. You can find your "lost" five-year old when at a mall or in
the park. The not so popular side-effects would be that your boss knows
where you are - just as well as your partner... Seriously though MLS can
help save lives through the E911, and I believe that this is something worth
looking at regardless of being in Japan, the US or Europe.
You can also find the information you want and need to navigate on the road,
or at sea.
If you are a Japanese teenager, I', sure that you would love to have a way
of communicating to all your friends that you are at a specific place and
want to be contacted by all your friends in the area, perhaps to go to the
cinema or for a drink or whatever. I don't think it's an obverrated service
and it does have the potential of actually becoming a killer app.

Kind regards
Annie