(keitai-l) Re: More location based services

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_anima.de>
Date: 11/16/00
SL> Has DoCoMo published anything on the access to the lbs data for "common"
SL> people?

As far as I know is the location only accessable, if you actively
request your location from your handset.
So a server based Imode service can not 'know' your location right
now. This is a security precaution. Actually it's a privacy joke,
because at DoCoPet (a phone without keyboard) somebody from outside
can request the location of the device and so also somebody from
'inside' DoCoMo find out about your phone location.

Later in Java based phones you can program the client to access the
location and send this info to a server, which can make something out
of it. But since DoCoMo delayed the Java phones to next year, we have
to wait until we see actually the implementation.

Interesting is also, that DoCoMo now talks about new business layers
and more secure transactions with Java phones and moved games and fancy
fun applications into the background (later next year)...seems that we
all can download our ringtones and animated characters in future more
secure and we can be sure that every single ringtone will be mentioned
on our monthly invoice.

Juergen's dog.