(keitai-l) Re: popular i-mode sites subsidized by advertising..

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/21/00
Nina from Jupiter Research asked the question: Are any I-mode sites
sustaining themselves with advertising." This is a very difficult question.
The US financial community apparently thought there many web sites that
could survive using advertising since they poured money into them. now it
appears that many of these investments were poorly made.
A better way to answer this question is to do the analysis yourself. If you
know the page views, the payment per view, and something about the capital
requirements of the contents, you can probably make a good estimate. For
example, Digital Street operates the largest I-mode search service called
Oh!New? my guess is that it will survive due to its large number of page
views. But I will know better after I visit them in a few weeks.
Below is some page view data for I-mode from a variety of sources (some for
october and some for july). Of course, these sites primarily make their
money from monthly content charges.

Contents		total	top page		genre	% under 30
Total		     4,500,000
Cybird		       105000
WNI Weather Info		11500	1500		news	59
Tsutaya online		 5600	 680		enter	81
Mainichi newspaper	 3737	1218		news	50
Konshu no oshirase	 2500	 NA 		menu	53
Public prize guide	 	2500	 250		enter.	59
Lawson tickets		 2500
Mobile town page		 2200	 350		town	55
Gurunabi		 	 800	  83 		resta	47
TV asahi 		  	363	  47		enter	NA