(keitai-l) Re: Strategis numbers...

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 11/30/00
Gustaf Rosell wrote:
> At 16:59 2000-11-29 +0900, you wrote:
> >Questions:
> >1. Can anyone tell me how Japan's 20 million-odd wireless Internet
> >constitute only 40% of the world total (where are the other 30 million)?
>
> Beats me. I know of one person in Düsseldorf who actualy uses WAP, so
> that's one. And there are some X00 000 combined in different networks in
> the US (AT&T pocketnet, Omnisky, Blackberry, Palm VII, Ricochet) and some
> 30 000 WAP on CDPD users in Mexico. But that's about it.

A guess: Nokia & co have sold 30 million phones outside Japan that can,
in theory, do wireless networking, so they're considering every WAP
phone owner to be a WAP user.  This is not quite as stupid as it sounds,
since unlike Japan, there are usually no separate charges for WAP access
and it's non-trivial to figure out how many are really using WAP
(although it's pretty trivial to figure out that it sure ain't 30m!).
Whereas with Docomo, every one of those 14 (not 12) million pays
300 yen a month for i-mode, and presumably would not pay if they had
no use for it.

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo