(keitai-l) Re: 2 tech questions

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 12/08/00
On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Nick May wrote:

> Thanks for the above - very kind of you. The answer is "yes" to all
> points, - the Solaris thing is interesting as I had always heard that one
> should avoid Solaris on intel - though I have never tried it myself.I

	I have been running Solaris on both Intel and Sparc platform
	for years. From admin's points of view I just love it. Now when
	there are no licence fee's anymore you should definetily give
	it a try.

> upset (something to do with the way Linux 2.2 handles threads) .  I am
> told freebsd is better. I just wish I had a better feel about how far to

	I don't know about performance with MySQL but you could also
	take a look at OpenBSD. FreeBSD is these days too much Linux
	like (ie filled with tons of useless garbage).

		http://www.openbsd.org/

	If you feel adventorous you could also look at PostgreSQL.
	Some recents test surprisingly show PG is going pas MySQL.

		http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3
		http://www.postgresql.org/

--
Mika Tuupola                      http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/