(keitai-l) Re: [REQUEST] Imode emulator

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 12/08/00
Paul Wallace wrote:

> When you work with global brand name clients that want to create stand-out
> wireless sites, the idea that you would not use a design feature because it
> is not part of the "standard" is absurd.

I disagree with the word 'absurd'. A global brand name client has everything to
lose when your non-standard web site all of a sudden stops working b/c, without
warning, NEC decides to upgrade their browser and drops table tag support.
Of course, as long as the client understands the risks and feels the benefits of
using, for example, table tags, outweigh those risks, then everything's peachy.

> You can tailor content to display
> properly in full-featured i-mode browsers and less-capable ones, just like
> you can do full-graphics and "light" desktop versions of your site.

Yes, but you have absolutely no idea if/when non-standard tags will stop being
supported/rendered differently, etc.

> Until now we have really been in the infancy of interface and visual design
> for small screens, but that is starting to change. I don't think that
> handsets will loose any features in the future, basically anything on the
> high-end sets today will be the low-end in 6 months. Lets update of FAQs to
> include the real world of i-mode capabilities.

I agree, but it will also take ALOT of work to keep up with every minor bug
fix/change/upgrade that's not part of the spec. For example within NEC alone, in
the same N502i series (never mind the changes from 501i to 502i and 502i to
502it), they have used at least 2 different version browsers.

If you think you have the resources to stay on top of such unannounced changes
effectively enough to make requisite changes to web sites in order to minimize
client impact, go right ahead. But you are doing your clients a grave disservice
if you don't make it very clear how non-standard cutting edge you're doing it.

Then again I'm probably just bitter b/c I'm such a terrible designer (note my
masterpiece of design renfield.net) and therefore I like sticking to spec.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature