(keitai-l) Re: Java-Type I-Mode Phones Face Problems of Compatibility

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 12/18/00
This situation seems to roughly parallel one of the issues that first
arose with Java as a server-side web language: how to get applets
to look snazzy in any browser.  The most honest assessment at the
time was that applets were unlikely to ever match handcrafted
application GUIs.

By analogy, one might predict that Java games will never look as good
as what Bandai can deliver for any given dedicated hand-held.  Even
if so, this might not be enough to prevent JavaPhone games from
becoming wildly popular.

Not that Java's history on the Web is so auspicious, thus far.
Applet games for conventional desktop browsers didn't really fly;
they were first fielded at a time when conventional browsers,
desktop computers, and internet connections groaned under the
burden of just loading up the applet in the first place, alienating
most users from using applets at all.  (Especially considering what
you got in the end - a once-size-fits-all version of a game that
you probably already had on your system, one that looked much
better.)  And Java later began lightening up banner ads at a time
when click-through rates were really starting to plummet.  Poor
Java - too early *and* too late for the Web...

But i-Mode isn't *the* Web - it's *a Web*.  Mobility changes
a lot of the rules.

-m
leap@gol.com