(keitai-l) The Wireless Internet

From: <DCMoralita_at_smart.com.ph>
Date: 12/19/00
	Hi everyone, I have been subscribed this list for months now, I
haven't been posting or commenting since I really have don't have direct
exposure with ketai or I-mode. Although I am very curious about the service
and the technology.

	In recent days, I have been reading lots of negative posts, to be
more particular, the post(s) by some people who are agitated by WAP or even
by the mere mention of Western handset manufacturers attempting to go
I-mode. I know that this list is mostly filled by
ketai-inclined/I-mode-following people. I am curious about this sentiment,
and I'm trying to understand it. I would like to think that this is just
casual post from some of the members.  Because I think that everybody knows
that I-mode is a success in Japan, and WAP has to do a lot of catching up in
most parts of the globe. But I guess everybody also knows the difference
between WAP and I-mode, and that it shouldn't after all be compared
technically, and that they are not really clashing against each other for
now.

	On the other hand, I think when I-mode service or the version of it
goes out of Japan, and when WAP is running over GPRS, I guess that it is the
time that this two technology will be mostly compared against each other
with regards to the perspective of consumer of these services not just in
Japan but also in places where they are both existent. 	I have been
wondering how will these wireless data services be marketed and  distributed
over markets with WAP over GPRS and/or I-mode and/or SMS.	Is it really
possible that I-mode will be as present as WAP in most markets? In my
opinion, no medium will be eliminated as long as there are users of that
medium, or unless the whole chain of inter-dependent entities still exists.

	I guess we can say that it has been a BIG year for Wireless Internet
for the past year, there has been much changes, and I think there will be
more to happen in the coming year, I just hope that  in the next year,
people will talk more about stuff in their own market and how they think it
is relevant for other markets in the global market place.  I guess such
insights will be very helpful since I think in the coming years, as the
world gets more and more connected, it is not about which service is mostly
used, but moreover if it can be used anywhere.

dj :)

The information transmitted through this mail is intended solely for the
addressee and may be legally privileged. Any disclosure, copying,
dissemination or any action taken or omitted, to be taken in reliance on it,
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
Smart Communications, Inc.
http://www.smart.com.ph