(keitai-l) Re: The most ugly and misformed phone I ever saw in my life

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 12/21/00
Jonathan wrote:

> > http://www.handspring.com/products/visorphone/
> >
> > Urgs, ugly! :)
> >

> That may be so - but I suspect it (or derivatives of it) will be quite
> popular in the US, where form factor hasn't been as much of an issue.

This 'phone' is just an expansion card for the Visor PDA.  The Visor
provides a nice large screen for the phone interface, and this one
has a built-in microphone intended to be used with such expansions.

Choice of form factor for the US market seems to come down to the
question, will it fit on a belt or in a shirt pocket comfortably?
The Pilot was designed to fit in a shirt pocket, and most of the
PalmOS PDAs have kept much the same form factor.

There is a 'real' phone that uses PalmOS for its front-end, the pdQ
from Kyocera (but originally developed by Qualcomm):
<http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/pdq/pdq_series.htm>.  It splits the
screen between phone status and the PalmOS display, and has the key-
pad on a flip-cover.