(keitai-l) Re: Flash on phones?

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 12/22/00
Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >   - GC (I guess different VMs can adjust their policy to minimize
> > memory and GC impact)
>
> Surely almost any interpreter needs to do some kind of GC, or at
> least reference-counting? Reference-counting is more memory-
> efficient, if you can avoid circular references, but tends to be
> slower.

True - it comes down to are you a conservative producer of garbage or a
liberal one - java is generally the later.

> Java 2 (JRE 1.2) added the Java 2D(TM) API to do just this. All the
> early SVG viewers I saw were written using this.

Ok - was stretching it a bit - however, not all of the graphic operations
are implemented natively (I mean many of them are written in java byte-code
rather than low-level code for the native device).

Guess we're getting into an interesting discussion farther from keitai.
Instinct says given both a java-capable phones and a flash-capable phones -
with the flash-capable phone you get:

- cheaper device (flash's memory /cpu demands are typically smaller)
- more interesting content (designers know how to produce great flash
animations)
- faster downloads
- faster execution in many cases

with java you get:

- more application flexibility
- a platform for the developer elite - who wants designers to steal the show
;)
- a well marketed brand

Given the same opportunity the former (flash) makes more sense IMO.