(keitai-l) Re: Flash on phones?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 12/22/00
Jonathan wrote:
<snip>
> Issues limiting Java's speed:
>
>   - relatively deep non-native code class hierarchy for graphics
>   - significant memory footprint for each object
>   - GC (I guess different VMs can adjust their policy to minimize
> memory and GC impact)

Surely almost any interpreter needs to do some kind of GC, or at
least reference-counting? Reference-counting is more memory-
efficient, if you can avoid circular references, but tends to be
slower.

>   - lack of native rendering support for anti-aliasing, alpha, etc (last I
> checked)
<snip>

Java 2 (JRE 1.2) added the Java 2D(TM) API to do just this. All the
early SVG viewers I saw were written using this.