(keitai-l) Re: is downloading java midlets more expensive than other content?

From: rolf van widenfelt <rolf_at_pizzicato.com>
Date: 01/22/01
Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda@msdw.com> wrote:

> rolf van widenfelt wrote:
>
> > otherwise, someone will soon devise the "monthly bill expander" midlet
> > which quietly transfers as many packets as possible while acting very innocent...
> > hundreds of yen in just a matter of seconds...
> > ooh that could hurt!
>
> Unless the midlet has the magical ability to speed up the network, I don't think any
> midlet, no matter how malicious, can rack up charges of hundreds of yen in a matter
> of seconds, even assuming perfect throughput  of 9600bps with a charge of 1
> yen/packet:

admittedly, i exaggerated :-)
how about in a matter of tens of seconds then?

still, my point is that it would be useful if the keitai user
could see that transmissions were occurring (while running the java midlet),
and, as you hint at below, be able to stop it quickly.
no one has yet mentioned whether i-mode phones have any kind of
indicator or LED for packet traffic.

-rolf