(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 01/23/01
>> Not to belittle the point, but TENS OF MILLIONS of users across Japan
>> and Europe who are phenomenally proficient at inputting on a 1-key is
>> not an anomaly.
> Do we really know how proficient they are? I suspect people don't input very
> much with the 10-key. Perhaps if it does become the only way many people
> input, then we'll develope some kind of short hand expression like the old
> telegraph language.

But this fits exactly into the permanent development of the
spoken and written japanese language...words will be shorten,
until you don't understand them anymore. We had this discussion
some months ago in this list, here are only a few examples:
OL = Office Lady
sekuhara = sexual harassment
cosplay = costume play
(insert 100000 words more here)

This phenomenia can not be compared to the western world and
so the comparision of Qwerty keyboards for westerns and
keypads for japanese makes no real sense.

Also don't forget that a simple Kanji character can be
a full sentence.

It's another world out here with different rules we westerns never
will be fully understand.

Cu (=See you) ;)

Juergen
--