(keitai-l) Re: Japanese phone numbers

From: Eric Hildum <Eric_Hildum_at_itochu.net>
Date: 01/23/01
> * Japanese phone numbers start with 0, and you dial the zero when
> calling domestically (You drop the zero and add Japan's country-code 81
> when calling from overseas into Japan)

Actually, this is incorrect. You need to separate the concept of various
dialing prefixes from the phone number. The dialing prefixes indicate what
the network should expect as far as subsequent digits are concerned.  The
telephone number is distinct from the dialing prefix, and is handled
separately. Specifically, the zero mentioned above is a dialing prefix, and
is NOT part of the telephone number despite it normally being written that
way. In the Japanese telephone network there are a number of different
prefixes in use that take between one and four digits (e.g. 0, 0120, 0990,
001, etc). I have some documentation of this somewhere around the office,  I
will try to dig it up and post more later when I have a bit more time.

Eric Hildum
Director, CTC Business Unit
Itochu Technology Inc.
3100 Patrick Henry Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95054-1850 USA
Tel: +1-408-653-2818
Fax: +1-408-727-4619
伊藤忠テクノサイエンス株式会社
プロダクトマネージメント部
ヒルダム エリック
Note: Attached files may be compressed. A free decompression utility is
available from:
http://www.aladdinsys.com/expander/index.html
http://stuffit.act2.co.jp/download/index.html