(keitai-l) Re: Japanese phone numbers

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/25/01
Lauren Baptist wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Nick May wrote:
>
> So, before I begin my next pass, I would be interested in hearing how
> others feel about this.  On the one hand, I understand Nick and Jani's
> perspective.  I can imagine clicking on a hyperlink and being unpleasantly
> surprised as my phone starts dialing.  On the other hand, if I actually
> wanted to dial a number on the page, this feature would be quite
> convenient.

There's a couple of things we need to remember:
* As far as I've tested, i-mode phones automatically highlight phone numbers (or
any string of single-byte ascii numbers in a web page) for click-dialing,
whether or not there is a tel: link
* Lauren's code would automatically insert tel: links around phone numbers in
the web page, not add them magically to a page. So if the page didn't already
contain a phone number, there'd be no link, and if it did, it'd probably get
highlighted automatically anyway
* Because of the trouble in the past with tel: links (pages that fooled users
into dialling 911 emergency services, etc.) the latest i-mode phones do NOT dial
phone numbers immediately on clicking the tel: link -- they simply set up the
phone to dial the number by displaying the number on the screen, and the user
must actually click again to confirm and dial

r e n