(keitai-l) Re: i-mode class files and emulators

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/30/01
Michael Turner wrote:

> >The manufacturers and
> > DoCoMo are still wed to the concept that they make most if they keep it
> all
> > to themselves.
>
> Now, I suspect you'll get a different opinion from Ren here, and maybe from
> me, too.  As Ren and others have pointed out, DoCoMo took the rather
> open approach of making i-mode HTML-compatible, and opening it up
> to anyone who could put up a web page, anywhere.  (Although there is the
> argument that i-mode was thrown together fast to head off a celnet
> bandwidth crisis - i.e., they were *forced* into a relatively open approach,
> in this view of things.)

I think DoCoMo has been as open as can be expected, short of embracing a
totally open-source business mode. Yes, they are strictly controlling
the rollout of Java by limiting jar files to official contents
developers, etc. but they are simply trying to protect a very well
nurtured and important brand. If the user experience is not as good as
expected it could have serious consequences for DoCoMo.
I don't even want to get into the "i-mode is proprietary" argument
because I find it pedantic. HTML and Java are about as open as it's
going to get. A hell of a lot more accessible to the general population
of contents developers than WML.

And as for DoCoMo being "forced" into open protocols, read Natsuno's
book and you'll see it was a very deliberate decision in an attempt to
build market share and brand.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144