(keitai-l) Passenger flogged for using cellphone on Saudi flight

From: Giles Richter <richter_at_mobilemediajapan.com>
Date: 02/06/01
Hi there, I realize this may appear somewhat off-topic,  but when I read it
I thought: maybe Japan Railroad is not so severe after all  when it comes to
passengers who do not switch off their mobile phones...

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Passenger flogged for using cellphone on Saudi flight

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Associated Press

Feb. 3, 2001 A Saudi court sentenced an army captain Saturday to 70
lashes for using a mobile phone on a domestic flight, court officials
said.

The court said the man put passengers and himself at risk by using his
phone during takeoff despite orders from members of the crew that he
turn it off. The flight was delayed 30 minutes as a result, and airport
security eventually escorted the man off plane, Al-Eqtisadiyah
newspaper reported.

It was the kingdom's first such sentence against users of mobile phones
on airplanes, the court officials said on condition of anonymity.

Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islamic law, and courts
routinely order lashings and hand amputations for theft and other
crimes, and public execution for murder, rape and drug trafficking.
Human rights organizations have criticized those penalties, saying
defendants do not receive fair trials and often do not have access to
lawyers.

The court did not release the cell phone user's name, saying only that
he was a captain of the Saudi Arabian army.