(keitai-l) Re: i in i-mode

From: Michael Kleinert <michael.kleinert_at_web.de>
Date: 02/07/01
>"information" is what I have been told.

This is correct. Matsunaga-san writes in her book: They wanted
something short like the single letter "i" which you often see as an
icon at information points (she mentions "tourist information" at the
airport). And it should be a single letter as it should clearly fit
one button (on the mobile) to get instant access to it.

But she also writes that is has several meanings like "interactive",
the english "I" (=watashi) as a personalized service and also
"internet".

And during the "naming process" they also came up with "i-drive",
"i-con" (from "pasocon", "i-catch" etc. quite interesting to read.

Michael

BTW: When I first heard of "i-mode" the first it reminded me of was
"iMac" where the "i" most probably stands for "internet".