(keitai-l) Re: determining what is an i-mode page

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 02/08/01
> How do other list users feel about a search engine stating as policy that
> its "preferred method" to identify sites is the meta tag?

Not a good idea. First japanese websites have almost NEVER
metatags in them and second it blows a page and I-mode sites
must be small for a fast user experience and for the 5kb limit.

Also if a searchengine promotes a new user tag, it doesn't mean that
people adopt this very fast.

No, the searchengine should be intelligent and work with several
'suspiscious' modes...if a page can be possible an I-mode site,
than there should be more tests on this page like:

Contains accesskey? Contains Omoji? Is under 5kb? Shift_JIS header?
Contains the word I-mode? ...?

How you weight these tests is a try and error thing until it works.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht - <js@nooper.com> - Nooper.com - Mobile Services