(keitai-l) Re: to emoji or not to emoji

From: Darlington <darlington_at_europe.com>
Date: 02/11/01
From: Gustaf Rosell
> It would be interesting to hear the view from the list whether emoji would
> work in the west or not.
Emoji will work in the west. The introduction of such ideographs ties in
perfectly with the tendency towards abbreviation and ellipsis current in
Europe, typified by generation-SMS.

> We are a bit concerned about breaking internet standards, which is
> especially important since all users would most likely already use fixed
> Internet.
This is really unimportant. Emoji are something you will use on a phone.
Just as SMS-users see no contradiction between using qwerty on a PC or STB,
but a 12char pad on their phone.

From: Gustaf Rosell (earlier post)
> we [...] succeed in convincing some of the [...] manufacturers to deliver
early this autumn will support
> CHTML, XHTML Basic and non-binary WML without WML-script
Why without wmlscript? Client-side scripting is the single (but very
substatntial) advantage that current wap implementations can have over
imode. This is not backward-compatilbility, merely lip-service to it. Some
more cynical than myself might suspect ulterior motivation...

rgds
Norman