(keitai-l) question on enterprise security

From: Pete Saladino <PSaladino_at_Scient.com>
Date: 02/13/01
Does anyone have information on the best ways businesses are using imode
devices to access some corporate information while ensuring proper levels of
security?  With just a regular non-official site serving chtml, you can set
up an SSL connection between DoCoMo and the web server......how secure is
the remaining connection from DoCoMo to the handset over the air?  I thought
this was discussed on this list and the consensus was that since the data
sent from DoCoMo to the handset was via proprietary non-public standard,
that this would be plenty secure.  Correct?  So its just basic SSL security
from the web server?

bottomline:  what is the best way to ensure security on non-official imode
websites such that corporate information can be accessed?  Is accessing data
of this nature even an established practice?  I thought that most of the
banking apps, etc. were registered sites and therefore reading the phoneid
and doing a match on that as well for added security.  Also, if all this is
so good, then why are the new 503i's supposed to address "security concerns"
via iAppli's?   Just a little confused by the conflicting stories.

thanks!

-p

Pete Saladino
Scient®: Innovate - For What's Next.(tm)
email: psaladino@scient.com
mobile: +81 90.7710.2215
visit us:  http://www.scient.co.jp